There are a number of questions you should consider at the very beginning of your project.
1. Your Objectives
What are your aims? It is important that these are clear from the outset, as these constitute the core around which everything will revolve. Some possible aims are:
- Corporate identity enhancement
- Change of image
- Selling a new product
- Creating a specific emotion or need
- Fundraising and awareness
- Telling a story
2. Your Audience
Who is your audience? Why would they watch the video? On which format would they watch it? The answers to these questions will greatly influence the style, content, running time, and concept of your video. Also, consider the following:
- Age of your audience
- Socioeconomic factors
- Knowledge of content matter
- Intellectual capability
- Disabilities or language barriers
3. Your medium
Which medium will best suit your main objective? Each medium has strengths and weaknesses; we can discuss which is best suited to your requirements.
- Web streaming
- Social media
- YouTube, Vimeo and other video sharing platforms
4. Your Content and Style
Your responses to the previous three questions allow us to determine the content of your video and how best to stylistically present it. If you already have a rough idea, then we can present various alternatives and discuss each possibility to decide on the most suitable option. In addition, it is useful to consider the following:
- What is the subject matter?
- Are there any elements that you definitely want to be included? (Locations, interviews, etc.)
- What look do you want the final piece to have?
- Do you want a fast-paced video, with quick cuts, or would a more steady pace be better suited to the audience?
- Do you have any preference for musical style?
- Is there a house style of which we need to be aware, such as corporate colours?
- Are there any other details of which we should be aware that may have a bearing on the project?
5. The final product
This would include options such as:
- Are you presenting the video on a website, or in any other format?
- Do you require various edits for different platforms?
- Do you require subtitles?
- If a DVD, what kind of menu might be created, and featuring what level of interactivity?
- Do you require the design of additional booklets/DVD sleeves?
- What kind of packaging? What kind of ‘look’ does the design need?
- How many copies do you require?
6. What might your project feature?
Each project is unique, and there is a wide range of skills and equipment of which you can make use. For example:
- Cameras: Multiple camera shoots have a great advantage over single camera shoots. For example, a two-camera interview enhances the look. The editor can cut from one angle to another – perhaps a wide to a close-up – and it is possible to cut mid-sentence to a more suitable take.
- Drone: Drone footage adds to the production value and always looks impressive.
- Autocue: Ignite Creative has an in-house teleprompt system, which can be of great benefit to presenters, meaning that they no longer need to remember scripts.
- Lighting: We will light your shots creatively, ensuring clarity and a much higher aesthetic quality.
- Presenter(s): Some projects benefit greatly from a presenter. You will need to choose someone who can relate well to the audience.
- Voiceover(s): A professional voiceover adds polish to a project. Again, gender, age, and tone can have a large bearing on the final product.
- Interviews: Interviews with experts and stakeholders can lend weight to a production.
- 2D and 3D graphics: Animation can add variety and style to a project.
- Stock/library photos and footage: Although there is much that we can film, there may be instances where stock or library footage can enhance your video.
- Music: Some projects may require commissioned music; others stock royalty free music. Pop/chart music is usually an unrealistically expensive option, due to the royalties that have to be paid.
- Interactive elements: DVD menus and website content can include interactivity, aiding accessibility to your production.